Colleges & Universities in Greater Myrtle Beach
Horry County boasts several higher education institutions that ready students and graduates for the working world. In addition to renowned programs that many of our colleges and universities offer, workforce training and development is a priority at these schools as well.
Coastal Carolina University
Coastal Carolina University (CCU) is a public university in Conway, SC. Coastal Carolina offers bachelor’s degrees in 73 fields of study, and among CCU’s 20 graduate level programs, 17 are master’s degrees, two are educational specialist degrees, and one is a Ph.D. in marine science. Last year, Coastal Carolina University’s economic impact on South Carolina was $565.8 million.
- Founded in 1954
- Ranked second by U.S. News & World Report for best value among southern regional universities
- Eight years running on the Military Friendly School list
- Latest fall enrollment: 10,479 students
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
Horry Georgetown Technical College
Horry Georgetown Technical College (HGTC) is a two-year community/technical college that offers more than 80 associate degree, diploma, and certificate programs. HGTC’s mission is to provide accessible, affordable, high-quality, comprehensive two-year collegiate education and workforce development through traditional and distance learning methods. The institution is best suited for students interested in quick entry into the workforce or those wishing to pursue a higher degree at another college or university.
- Founded in 1966
- Three campuses: Myrtle Beach, Conway, Georgetown
- Latest fall enrollment: 7,018
- 95% job placement rate
- Opened a new, 25,000 square foot advanced manufacturing center in 2017 in response to industry demand for skilled workers in the fields of welding, machine tool technology, and computerized numerical control
Pittsburgh Institute of Aeronautics
The Pittsburgh Institute of Aeronautics (PIA) offers hands-on learning to students through AST degree programs in Aviation Technology and diploma/certificate programs in Aviation Maintenance Technology (AMT). The AMT program prepares students for the FAA Airframe and Powerplant Certification Exams. PIA is a not-for-profit organization led by a board of directors. The school believes its programs must develop specific career-related skills, broaden abilities in essential academic areas, and form attitudinal traits compatible with career goals.
- Founded in 1929
- One of the first institutions to be approved by the Civil Aeronautics Authority, predecessor to the FAA
- Four campuses: Pittsburgh (West Mifflin, PA); Hagerstown (Hagerstown, MD); Myrtle Beach (Myrtle Beach, SC); Youngstown (Vienna, OH)
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC)
Webster University Myrtle Beach
Webster University Myrtle Beach offers accredited graduate school education to students in South Carolina and across the world. With opportunities to study in Myrtle Beach or earn a degree online, academic programs are focused on student success and taught by faculty with professional experience in their academic fields. Convenient to the 17 Bypass, many students find that the location, small class sizes and individual attention result in better networking opportunities and successful learning outcomes within their profession or local community. Webster personalizes education to meet specific goals and schedule demands while maintaining full-time employment or actively serving in the military. In Myrtle Beach and around the world, Webster University is recognized as a leader in global education and a pioneer in adult and military education.
- Founded in 1915
- Private non-profit university with nearly 17,000 students studying at campus locations in North America, Europe, Asia and Africa and in a robust learning environment online
- Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission
- Offers the following degree programs at the Myrtle Beach campus: MBA, Master of Health Administration, MA in Counseling, Human Resources Development, Human Resources Management, Information Technology Management, Management & Leadership, and a Graduate Certificate in Organizational Development
Miller-Motte Technical College
Miller-Motte College and Miller-Motte Technical College have 16 convenient locations and offer Beauty & Wellness, Business, Healthcare, Legal & Protective Services, Skilled Trades-CDL and Technology courses and programs. We also offer 100% online programs through our Wilmington location (Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Electronic Health Records, IT Support Specialist and Medical Billing and Coding) and our Conway location (Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Data Analysis, Digital Marketing, HTML, CSS & Web Design, Medical Billing and Coding, Paralegal and User Experience Design). All graduates have access to Career Assistance which includes guidance from our Career Services team, resume updates, workshops and more. Financial aid is available for those who qualify.
- Founded in 1916
- Accredited by the Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC)
- Degree, diploma, and certificate programs in the fields of Beauty & Wellness, Healthcare, Commercial Drivers License, and other Short-Term Career Training Programs